The office of a dentist in California, Cathrine Steinborn, was burglarized and a server containing patient and responsible party information – including Social Security numbers – was stolen.
How much information has been compromised? Still being assessed.
What type of patient information? Names, addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers, Social Security numbers, dental and/or medical insurance information, health background information, treatment information, and billing information.
What happened? The office of Cathrine Steinborn, a California dentist, was burglarized and a server containing the personal information was stolen.
Details: The office was burglarized on Jan. 5. Steinborn is unaware of any actual or attempted misuse of the information stored on the server. The server did not contain bank account, driver’s license or credit and debit card information.
What CAM HIPAA Solutions would have recommended to minimize the impact of a burglary?
- Implement data encryption on the Server hard drives where the data is being housed. Burglaries happen. But having data encryption in place lowers the chance of the burglars successfully accessing your data. This technology is available through the hardware of most reputable manufacturers like Dell, IBM, and HP. Software encryption can also be secure and setup in any current Windows Server and Windows desktop operating systems.
- Keep servers in a locked room (secured fire proof up to 90 minutes door starting around $500) and then in a secured server enclosure (starting at around $350). The locked room makes access more challenging and the enclosure presents them with yet another deterrent. Having an alarm in place partnered with these measure allows for a delay to occur while the authorities have time to arrive.
- Server data encryption could already be available on your servers and desktops and just needs to be implemented. If not Data Encryption software solutions start at around $150 per license. Much less expensive than one would imagine!
CAM HIPAA Solutions can literally take this thankless job off your hands so you can focus on your other job responsibilities. As HIPAA compliance experts we can seamlessly take over the monitoring and upkeep of your entire HIPAA compliance program, including securing all of your sensitive personnel and patient data.
Download your guides to gain better knowledge behind Risk Analysis and Risk Assessments
Allow for us to run an risk analysis and determine what vulnerabilities your company has, as well as recommending policies and procedures to ensure your compliance. If the risk analysis determines that a redesign in your company’s framework is necessary, allow for us to handle the grunt work.
CAM HIPAA Solutions is the easiest and fastest way to protecting patient information and becoming compliant with the HIPAA Security Rule.
The most important aspect of CAM HIPAA Solutions is that we do all the hard work for you.
- We write your policies and procedures
- We perform your risk assessment
- We train your employees
- We respect your precious time and we minimize the time and effort that you have to put in. And we are with you every step of the way (we are really good at hand holding). Over a 2 week period you will probably spend 2 hours (and no more than 4 hours we promise) working with us. After that you are done and we do the rest.
- Our training videos are light and enjoyable (some clients say their employees think our training is actually fun!). HIPAA is boring no more!
- We have priced our service so every organization can afford it.
- We promise to minimize the time you spend, get you up to speed on HIPAA without overwhelming you, help your employees protect patient information and take “become HIPAA compliant “ off your to-do list
Don’t become like other HIPAA Doctors and look away, it applies to everyone!
Please give one our consultants a call at (888) 959-0220 or schedule a time to speak with a consultant at your convenience.